The Book of Revelation
The Book of Revelation – The Revelation on Jesus
The Book of Revelation (the only New Testament Prophetical Book) is the revealing of the complete identity of Jesus Christ. In Revelation chapter 1, Jesus is proclaimed as:
- Him who is, was and is to come (Revelation 1: 4, 18)
- The faithful witness (Revelation 1:5)
- The first begotten of the dead (risen from the tomb) (Revelation 1:5)
- Ruler of the kings of the earth (Revelation 1:5)
- The Alpha and Omega (beginning and end) (Revelation 1:11)
- Ephesus (the cold church – they lost their first love)
- Smyrna (the persecuted church)
- Pergamos (the compromising/lenient church)
- Thyatira (the corrupt church)
- Sardis (the dead/lifeless church)
- Philadelphia (the obedient church)
- Laodicea (the lukewarm church)
The Book of Revelation – What John Saw
John was given visions of things to come covered in chapters 4 thru 22 of the Book of Revelation. During Roman persecution John (exiled to the isle of Patmos for his faith), was sent an angel with God’s commission to “record the word of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things he saw” (Revelation 1:2, KJV).
This apocalyptic writing is thought to be immensely symbolic as we see with the use of the number 7 throughout. For instance, 7 churches, 7 lamp stands, 7 seals, 7 trumpets and so on. The number 7 stands for completeness and God is saying when the things contained in this book come about, the world will have completed its time as we know it and we will see the triumphant return of Jesus to establish His New Kingdom.
The book can easily be divided into these sections:
- Chapters 2-3: Letters to the 7 churches
- Chapters 4-5: The Heavenly Throne, the 7 sealed scroll, the Lamb (Jesus)
- Chapters 6-7: Opening the 7 Seals, (the 4 Horses, Great Earthquake)
- Chapters 8-11: The 7 Trumpets (plagues of locusts, Release of Angels, the Two Witnesses Judgments and Rewards)
- Chapters 12-14: The events of the 2 Beasts, the Dragon, Lamb and 144,000, the Harvest of the Earth
- Chapters 15-16: The 7 Bowls of plagues, seas of blood, scorching sun, tremendous earthquake
- Chapters 17-22: Babylon’s Fall, Wedding of the Lamb, Satan’s doom, Great Throne Judgment, the New Earth
The Book of Revelation – Victory, Christ’s Reign, Eternity
The Book of Revelation demonstrates God’s almighty infinite love, power, sovereignty, and truth.
Much of the book tells of horrendous events that will occur as Satan tries to destroy God’s people and all creation. It will culminate with a great battle between Christ and Satan known as the Battle of Armageddon. But the victory belongs to Jesus! He will restore the earth with all that is good and pure, establishing the “New Jerusalem” from which He will reign forever. Revelation 22:3 says “There will no longer be any curse. The throne of God and the lamb will be in the city…”
Then John writes in Revelation 22:6, “He [the angel] told me, ‘These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord God of the spirits and of the prophets has sent his messenger to show his servants the things that must happen soon.’”
You can be over-comers of the devastation that is coming. If you don’t know Jesus and have never submitted your life to Him, now is the time! In Jesus’ own words, Revelation 22:7 says “See! I am coming soon! How bless is the person who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.” Are you prepared for where you will spend eternity?
Resources: The NIV and KJV Bibles; BibleStudyTools.com
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow Jesus
Yes, I am already a follower of Jesus
I still have questions